My First Week as a College Student

Rafael Estrada

Maria Garza

Blog #2-My First Week as a College Student

June 16th, 2010

Finding My Roots

Hispano, Latino, Mexicano, P'urhépecha, Otomíe, these terms were mentioned during my first week of Native American Studies by my teacher Señora Rocha Cruz. I was taken by surprise the first day of class when she came in, greeted everybody with a soft but firm voice, walked with a strong posture and opened the windows. She said she just had to have sun light when she taught. From that point on I loved Native American Studies. Actually the real moment I convinced myself that I loved this class was when we started talking about how the term Race, was imaginary; that it did not exist. Her lecture blew my mind and helped me realized the meaning of my roots.

During my first three days of class I realized I have actually done about nine days of class. I came to this conclusion because this semester class is compressed in month. I made it my goal not to miss this class because one day could set me back in the lecture and my notes for my weekly test. These factors encouraged me to finish my homework early, get a good night’s sleep, and wake up in the morning for class. I was also motivated to be in class because of Señora Rocha. To me, Señora Rocha has a soft, gentle but firm voice that keeps me intrigued throughout her lecture. I have never had a teacher with such a tone of talking that makes me want to listen to them speak.

Señora Rocha’s syllabus has been my first syllabus of my college career. In my first day of School, I knew about a quiz, a test, my readings for the next day and my final project. I believe the most challenging part of class has been the readings. Even though I am an AP English student, I have met my match with the readings assigned by Señora Rocha in Native American Studies. The reading in the book, The Racial Contract, Charles Mills explains Kant’s practical philosophy. After reading for two hours, my head felt like it was going to explode. Even though the readings are becoming harder, I like the challenge of college literature. If my readings are becoming harder then I know what to expect for my second test. My first test was three essay questions over 6 multiple readings. I wrote a paragraph answering each question and what I wrote was correct. I was very proud of myself in the sense that I remembered reading about the topic of the questions. Now I know I will need to work harder for my second test.

Through my reading in Native American Studies I have found the horrors that Native American have suffered throughout their existence both in the States and in Mexico. I have also found my roots that go deeper than just Mexican. I have learned that I am of Otomíe descent and that my people spoke P'urhépecha. This is amazing discovery for me because all my life I have considered myself Aztec but I am not I am Otomíe. I am also Mexican in the sense of I was born in Mexico, I am Hispanic due to my grandpapi on my father’s side who has Spanish blood, I am Latino because I am from Latin America

I expect to learn more about my ancestry, how they lived, how the suffered, and how they are keeping their culture alive. I believe Señora Rocha will help me find my roots because she is filled with all kinds of knowledge. Every day I cannot wait but to sit down and listen to Señora Rocha’s lecture.

0 Comments »

Leave a comment

About Me

My photo
Buy books and buy books and all you do is eat the covers-Coach Patton. X C for life!!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Powered by Blogger Skins. Theme: TheBuckmaker | Free Wordpress Templates. Mobile platform by Phone Tracking, Music Guitar Song Chords